Talamh tries to reduce it’s impact on the environment by firstly reducing it’s use of resources, reusing wherever possible (and a lot of making-do), and finally recycling. We are working with the Charity to substantially improve our renewable power potential. Currently we:
- Share resources such as vehicles, workshop space and washing machine.
- Recycle metal, glass, paper, cans and plastic, and we compost food waste.
- Run small scale wind turbines and solar cells providing electricity to individuals’ spaces.
- Produce food of our own, reducing the ‘food miles’.
- Use heating primarily by wood burners. Burning wood (biomass) is ‘carbon neutral’ as well as making use of wood that might otherwise be wasted.
- Use of friendlier materials such as recycled wood and environmentally-friendly paints.